While riding a motorcycle can be fun and a cheaper way to get around Roswell, it is also dangerous. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), motorcyclists are 28 times more likely to be killed in a collision than occupants of a passenger motor vehicle.
Those who survive the crash are often left with life-long injuries that cause chronic pain and limitations in their ability to work and enjoy their lives. If you suffered injuries in a motorcycle accident caused by a negligent driver, you may be entitled to compensation for your lost wages, medical bills, and pain and suffering under New Mexico law.
Five Common Injuries Caused in Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle riders only have their clothes and a helmet to protect them from the impact of being struck by much bigger and heavier motor vehicle or truck. Because of this, their injuries are much more likely to be catastrophic or fatal. Common injuries in these collisions include:
- Traumatic brain injury. A motorcyclist can suffer a traumatic brain injury (TBI) even if they are wearing a helmet. TBIs can cause permanent brain damage and can affect a victim’s mobility, vision, hearing, and cognitive abilities, such as memory, concentration, and problem-solving.
- Spinal cord injuries. If a rider’s spinal cord is injured in the accident, they could suffer partial or complete paralysis. They could require round-the-clock assistance with their daily needs, suffer many other complications associated with paralysis, and become permanently disabled.
- Fractures. Victims of a motorcycle accident can suffer serious fractures. Leg fractures are some of the most common injuries in these collisions.
- Internal injuries. Internal bleeding and organ damage can be caused by blunt force trauma or an object penetrating the motorcyclist’s body. These injuries often require immediate medical treatment and can be life-threatening.
- Road rash. Road rash is a common injury caused when a motorcycle rider’s skin comes in contact with the road surface. This injury can range from mild to serious, where the outer layers of the skin are removed, and can lead to infections and permanent scarring.
Get the Legal Help You Need
If you were injured in a motorcycle accident caused by a driver’s negligence, it may not be easy to obtain the compensation you deserve for your injuries. Our experienced personal injury lawyers are here to explain your rights under New Mexico law and to fight with the insurance company so that you receive all that you are entitled to in your settlement. Start a live chat to schedule your free consultation today.