Vehicle collisions can have many different causes, but there are a few mistakes drivers frequently make that routinely lead to the majority of accidents.
Common Causes of Collisions
Some of the most common types of vehicle accidents include:
- Rear-end collisions. These accidents occur when a vehicle strikes the car directly in front of it. Rear-end collisions are frequently the result of distracted driving, when a driver is busy texting, adjusting the radio, or chatting with passengers. While these accidents are rarely fatal, injury victims often develop whiplash when exposed to collision forces.
- Side-impact collisions. Frequently known as T-bone accidents, these collisions occur when a driver fails to stop at an intersection, striking the vehicle that has the right-of-way. Side-impact collisions are particularly dangerous, since the sides of vehicles offer little protection against impact forces. If the side of a vehicle caves in, the accident victim may sustain traumatic head and brain injuries. Lung, rib, and facial injuries are also common in these types of accidents.
- Rollover collisions. These devastating accidents occur when something causes a vehicle to flip over. Driver negligence, such as aggressive driving, sometimes causes these collisions. However, many rollovers are caused by vehicle defects or poor road conditions. Common rollover accident injuries include organ damage, spinal cord injuries, and traumatic brain injuries.
- Head-on collisions. Common causes of head-on collisions include distracted driving, driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, and fatigued driving. These accidents frequently result in whiplash, back injuries, and wrongful death claims.
- Animal collision. Animal collisions occur when a vehicle collides with a deer, moose, or other large animal. These accidents are particularly common in areas where roads are in close proximity to animal habitats.
An Attorney Can Help You Get What You Deserve
If you’ve been injured in a vehicle collision in Roswell or elsewhere in New Mexico, you need a car accident attorney to investigate, gather evidence, argue your case, and help you receive the compensation you deserve. To learn more, contact our Roswell personal injury law office by calling (575) 300-4000 or by using the contact form.