A T-bone accident occurs when the front end of one auto collides with the driver’s or passenger’s side of another car. They are also referred to as a side-impact or broadside collision and frequently occur at intersections.
If you were injured in a T-bone car accident, you are entitled to compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and property damages under New Mexico Law. Here’s what you’ll need to do to obtain the settlement you deserve from the at-fault driver’s insurance company.
Why Negligence Matters When You’re Filing an Insurance Claim
In order to receive compensation from the insurance company, you will need to prove the negligence of the other motorist caused your side-impact crash. You cannot obtain any compensation unless you can establish this. Common ways they may have caused your accident include:
- Running a red light
- Failing to yield the right of way
- Distracted driving
- Not driving safely for weather conditions
Important Steps to Take to Ensure That You Receive Compensation For Your Injuries and Car
You also need to take steps after your T-bone accident to protect your right to compensation and build a winning case. Here are six crucial steps to take:
- Get medical care. You should obtain prompt medical treatment—even if you do not believe you were hurt. This would protect your health if you suffered a hidden injury, which is common in side-impact crashes. It also avoids disputes with the insurance company about the cause and seriousness of your injuries.
- Call the police. You should call 911 at the accident scene and obtain a copy of the police report. It will contact the details of how your crash occurred, who caused it, whether any traffic tickets were issued, and other helpful information that will help you prove the negligent driver’s liability to compensate you.
- Preserve evidence. It is important to preserve evidence at the crash scene. This includes taking pictures of the damage to the vehicles and your injuries and collecting the contact information for the other motorist, their insurance company, and witnesses who saw the crash occur.
- Get repair estimates. If your auto was damaged, you should obtain estimates of the cost to repair it or to replace it if it was totaled.
- Save medical bills and paystubs. You will need to hold onto your medical bills, medical records, pay stubs, and other documentation of your wage losses to show how much you should receive for your medical expenses and lost wages.
- Hire an attorney. You should retain an experienced car accident lawyer as soon as possible after your T-bone wreck. They can collect the evidence you need, file your insurance claim, and negotiate your settlement so that you receive all that you deserve.
Were you injured in a T-bone or other car accident in Roswell? Our knowledgeable and compassionate legal team is here to fight so that you receive the maximum recovery from the insurance company. Start a live chat to schedule your free consultation today.