Notify the Social Security Administration Regarding These Life Changes

Social Security Administration BuildingWhen an applicant has been approved to receive Social Security disability benefits, communication with the Social Security Administration (SSA) does not end. Disability benefit recipients are still required to notify the SSA of life changes.

Circumstances Requiring SSA Notification

Changes in a Social Security disability benefits recipient’s income, assets, marital status, and state of residence can all impact payments, and even eligibility. The SSA must be notified when the recipient:

  • Has legal changes. If a Social Security benefits recipient changes their name, gets married or divorced, leaves the United States for 30 consecutive days or more, or is no longer a United States citizen, they must notify the SSA.
  • Moves or plans to move. The SSA must be notified of any address or phone number changes.
  • Can no longer manage their financial affairs. If a Social Security benefits recipient is no longer capable of handling their own money, the SSA can direct the benefits to someone else.
  • Receives pension benefits. The SSA must be notified of the receipt of pension payments from a former job.
  • Starts a new job or a new business. Regardless of the amount of income generated, the SSA must be notified of any employment changes. This includes an estimate of the number of hours that will be worked, and when the work will begin and end.
  • Changes banks. If a Social Security benefits recipient switches to a new bank, the banking information on file with the SSA should be changed online or via telephone.
  • Commits a crime. The SSA must be notified when a Social Security benefits recipient has outstanding felony arrest warrants, criminal convictions, or violates a condition of parole or probation.

Notifying the Social Security Administration

If you’re receiving Social Security disability benefits, you may notify the SSA of any life changes by calling 1-800-772-1213, or online by creating a My Social Security account. This information may also be mailed to your local Social Security office, or you may visit the SSA in person. To learn more, contact the Injury & Disability Law Center by clicking the Live Chat button on this page.


Joshua Worley
Connect with me
Roswell, NM Social Security and Veterans Disability Lawyer
Post A Comment