There are a few critical requirements when filing a claim with the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Processing the initial claim for VA benefits may take as little as a few months or as long as several years, so there is no time to waste. To secure your compensation as early as possible, you should apply for benefits as soon as you determine that you are disabled.
Ways to Apply for VA Benefits
There are a few options when applying for benefits. You may apply for VA benefits by:
● Calling 800-827-1000.
● In person by visiting your local VA office.
● Online by using the eBenefits website.
● Completing and submitting Form 21-526EZ.
Specify Your Illnesses and Injuries
When you complete the application, list the specific illnesses and injuries for which you are requesting disability benefits, along with the date your symptoms appeared. You should only claim disabilities or illnesses you had in service if you are still suffering from the condition, or if you suspect that you may develop complications in the future.
Gather Documentation of Your Illnesses and Injuries
You’ll need documentation of your injuries to support your claim. Documents you should submit with your application may include:
● Medical clinic and hospital records related to your injury or illness. While your benefits application allows you to sign a medical records release, many private medical providers ignore VA requests for these records. Submitting medical records with your application eliminates this problem.
● Supporting statements from friends, family, clergy, law enforcement, or other veterans regarding your injury or illness.
● VA medical and hospital records related to your injury or illness.
Help With Your VA Disability Claim
If you need assistance with your disability claim, you can visit your local VA office. You may also get help from a disability lawyer. An experienced disability benefits attorney can review your claim, gather vital evidence, and prepare the necessary paperwork to help you receive the compensation you deserve. If you’ve been injured in service to your country, we can assist you with your VA benefits claim. Call us today or complete the contact form on this page.