If you were injured in a car, truck, slip and fall, or other type of personal injury accident, you will need to file a claim for compensation with the negligent party’s insurance company. In order to obtain all the compensation that you deserve, you must build the strongest case you can against the at-fault party. Here are a few important steps you can take to accomplish this goal and maximize your personal injury recovery.
Report Your Accident
It is important to report your personal injury accident by calling the police if you were in a car or truck accident or filing an incident report with the owner if you were hurt in a slip and fall or other personal injury accident. Reporting the accident can provide you with important documentation to prove the other party’s fault in causing your injuries and can help avoid disputes with their insurance company about whether the accident really occurred.
Get Needed Medical Care
Call 911 at the accident scene if you suffered injuries requiring immediate medical treatment. You should get prompt medical care even if you do not think that you were hurt. You could have suffered serious injuries, such as traumatic brain injuries, spinal injuries, or internal organ damage, and not realize it until days or longer after the incident.
By obtaining necessary medical care quickly, you avoid your injuries becoming worse or life-threatening. In addition, you avoid disputes with the insurance company about how they were caused.
You must prove the other party’s negligence in causing your accident, the seriousness of your injuries, and the compensation you should receive. How do you do this? You must collect evidence that will help you win your case. Here are ways to do this:
- Obtain a copy of the police or accident report.
- Get the contact information for the at-fault party, their insurance company, and any witnesses to your accident.
- Take pictures of the accident scene, damage to the vehicles if you were hurt in a car or truck crash, your injuries, and anything else that you think could help prove your case.
- Keep copies of your medical bills, wage loss documentation, and any other evidence of the losses you incurred due to the accident.
- Save your clothes and shoes in the same condition they were in after your accident. They can be compelling evidence to show a jury. They can also help you refute the insurance company’s arguments that your clothes or shoes caused your injuries in a slip and fall case.
Stay Off Social Media
If possible, stay off your social media sites until your claim is settled. Do not post about your accident, injuries, activities you are doing, or places you are, on social media sites. The insurance company could search these sites for evidence to use against you, such as statements suggesting that you were at fault in causing the accident and that your injuries were not as serious as you claim.
Retain an Attorney
You should hire an experienced personal injury lawyer as soon as possible after your accident. They can help you avoid mistakes that hurt your case, collect the evidence you need, and fight with the insurance company so that you receive the maximum amount in your settlement.
Were you or a family member injured in a personal injury accident caused by another’s negligence? Call our Roswell office or start a live chat to schedule your free consultation today.